Thursday, February 12, 2015

No 18 Zion Road Fried Kway Teow - It Didn't Disappoint! @ Zion Riverside Hawker Centre [Opposite Great World City]

When one speaks of the old Zion Road hawker centre, it is quite easy to hear of old time diners talking about the legendary char kway teow (henceforth CKT). 

I heard of its fame since my polytechnic days and it took me 16 years before i finally stood in front of the stall to make an order! It was with purpose that i chose a timing after lunch so that i didn't have to endure a long wait! 

Don't play play okay; it was awarded as one of Makansutra Street Food Masters back in 2007! There were of course other accolades; including an article mentioning that the CKT in this stall was Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's favourite! 

Whatever the case (whose favourite didn't quite bother me), this was my plate of char kway teow with no cockles. Deviating from my usual behaviour, i didn't ask for special order which often involved dousing the noodles with more black sauce and frying in extra pork lards.

True to its numerous testaments, this CKT didn't disappoint; it was slightly wet, the flavour of wok hei was evident, the sweetness was just right with well-balanced flavours. I would of course prefer it to be sweeter with a ton of pork lards and was hitting my stupid head for not going ahead with my "special" order.

For all you know, there could be a possibility that i might even devour the plate!

=====

Location
70 Zion Road, Stall 17, 
Zion Riverside Food Centre 
[Opposite Great World City]

Map
As above

Price
S$3 a plate

No comments:

Post a Comment